#cookingwithbeer #slowcooking #slowfood #soulfood
Cooking a home cooked, and slow cooked, meal like Goulash requires patience and time, but the result is worth it.
First off it's time to find the ingredients:
• 3 x Carrot
• 3 x Onions
• 3 x Red Peppers
• 1 x Garlic
• 1 x Can of chopped tomatoes
• 1kg Low-cost cuts of beef
• 1kg potatoes
• 250g of cherry tomatoes
• 250g of smoked bacon
• 250g chorizo sausage
• 500g of angus beef dice
• 2 x Heart of Darkness Eloquent Phantom Imperial Stout
• Smoked Paprika Spice
• Cayenne Pepper
• Crushed Cumin
• Sourdough Bread
• Parmigiano cheese
• Fill a pot with 5 liters of water and add salt, pepper and bring it to boil.
• Add low cost beef shank (or similar cut from the cow that requires long time cooking for amazing results).
• Add 1 carrot and 1 onion.
• Turn down the heat and let it simmer for 3-4 hours until there is around 2,5 liters left including the meat.
• Take it off the heat and gently take the meat out and save for later.
• The rest is poured through the siv so the pure broth is ready to cool down.
• Chop carrots, onions and garlic and brown in a big pot.
• Add in smoked bacon and diced black angus beef (or similar high quality lean meat) and salt and pepper.
• Add in smoked paprika, cayenne peppers and crushed cumin.
• Keep stirring it so its frying and releasing umami and not cooking.
• Once the meats are browned add: Chorizo, Peppers, Tomatoes and top of with the Broth.
• Chop the beer shank cuts from the broth into smaller pieces (it will fall apart on its own) and add into the pot.
• Pour a Heart of Darkness Eloquent Phantom Imperial Stout into the pot (should be back to around 5 liters in the pot).
• Remember to spice it every 15 minutes or so with Cayenne and Smoked Paprika - this is instrumental to making the texture of the dish.
• Continue this for 3 hours time until the liquid has vaporized and the taste is condensed.
• Put water + salt in a pot and bring it to boiling.
• Clean and take of the peal of the potatoes and cook them for 45-60 minutes until you can put a fork through them easily and they are done.
• Cut slices of the sour dough bread and dip in the pot with the Goulash.
• Put them on a pan to go in the oven and grind the Parmigiano cheese on top.
• Cook until starting to be crisp and take out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
• Take a big bowl and add in some cooked potatoes in the bottom, pour over the Goulash and serve with some crispy cheese sour dough bread slices.